- 10 oz whole button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup 00 flour (or you can use all purpose)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Enough beer to make a nice and smooth batter (about 10 oz) – I like to use Stella Artois or Blue Moon. Or, if you don’t want to use alcohol, replace with water
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs – I crush some of mine for a little better coating
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Pour and mix in enough beer to form a nice, smooth batter that will coat the mushrooms and not just run off them.
- Dip the mushrooms into the batter and then put them on a wire rack to allow the excess batter to drip off them.
- On a plate or in a bowl, roll the mushrooms in the panko crumbs until they are all coated and allow to rest on the wire rack. Allowing them to rest with the breadcrumbs on them will help the breadcrumbs adhere better during deep frying.
- Heat your oil to about 360 degrees F then deep fry the mushrooms in batches until they are golden brown.
- Drain and cool on a wire rack or paper towel.
Leave a Reply